Monday, March 24, 2014

23 Mobile Things: 14. Videos

There are 14 pounds in a stone. If you look at my weight in stone, I should be eating so much more ice cream. I should be eating so much more ice cream anyway. While I watch more videos. Ice cream and videos. I'm so in Thing 14! So in.

Alright, so Thing 14 is all about video, and if you read my posts about Thing 10 (sharing pictures), it's probably not surprising to hear that I'm all about the video too.

Seriously...I've got a Vine for everything.

Well, by everything, I mean really stupid interactions (mostly with friends), that provide 6 seconds of useless but entertaining content.

Hurray!

So again, as I mentioned during the the Thing 10 picture post, this may not be the stuff of deep thinking or learning, but it is something pervasive in my every day life, and mobile technology makes that possible.

That said, knowing this is an education blog, I certainly don't want to imply that we need to exclude video apps from the possibility of being used for deep thinking and learning. Many of the teachers I work with use it in such a capacity every day:

I see coaches and physical education teachers filming their students' form to provide feedback.
I see students creating videos to demonstrate their learning.
I see classrooms sharing videos with global classrooms to make connections.
I see kids filming their teachers or peers so they can review the content later.
I see teachers creating screencasts and tutorials for remediation, extension, and everything in between.

Video is great, isn't it? The opportunities to incorporate it into learning are endless, and it still kind of blows my mind that every student in my school has access to a video recorder and camera at all times. I remember about 5 years ago when I got a set of 10 Flip Video Cameras in my classroom and I thought it was the COOLEST THING EVER.

That was only 5 years ago, and already the technology seems silly and archaic. Wow.

Anyhow, I'd love to hear how you use video in your classroom and school to support learning. Please share. This is great stuff, people!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I moderate comments for appropriateness and relevance, and do my best to approve in a timely manner. Expect to see your post soon.

Popular Posts